Volo City is the largest sport and social company in America with over 200,000 players in eight cities nationwide. We offer a variety of leagues for all skill levels including kickball, soccer, flag football, volleyball, softball, bocce ball, skeeball and more! We also provide corporate and private events.
Our mission is to create sustainable free youth leagues through adult social sports. The Volo City Kids Foundation provides free organized sports for the kids of Baltimore, Boston, Denver, New York, San Francisco, and Washington, DC. Our programs remove barriers to athletic participation such as gender, skill, and financial resources while bringing different communities together. We play so kids can play for free!
The ideal candidate works well in a team environment, isn’t afraid to ask for help and is willing to tackle any job that comes their way. Volo City is looking for someone who is:
- Entrepreneurial: ability to recognize and seize opportunities, and requires low supervision/direction
- Driven: self-directed leader who takes initiative and a solutions-oriented approach to problem solving; demonstrates a willingness to learn and improve
- Relationship Focused: Comfortable with all types of clients and decision makers; able to put the customer first in order to best solve their problems
This role is for you if you are passionate about organized sports and interested in playing in recreational leagues and events. The nature of this position is sport-specific and as such schedules are flexible and subject to change based on the season. Your responsibilities will include but will not be limited to:
- League Operations:
- On-field support including refereeing 20-25 games per week
- Player communication – sending all emails for assigned sports leagues
- Checking and updating scores for all leagues within assigned sports
- Maintain equipment for assigned sports including ordering replacements, noting damages, and reporting to the market’s equipment lead
- Maintain fields as needed based on weather, location, and sport-specific requirements
- Talent Development:
- Leading sport specific training in your market for assigned sport(s) to the part-time hosts as well as all internal referees
- Recruiting, mentoring, and ensuring quality staff and product – includes reviewing sport-specific league audits
- Customer Service:
- Resolve any problems that players might face with accuracy and efficiency
- Anticipate and provide pro-active solutions to prevent problems from arising in the future
- Grassroots outreach including distributing posters and postcards in local neighborhoods and representing the company at community events
- Calling and texting sport captains during league registration times
DESIRED SKILLS + EXPERIENCE
- BA or BS degree; 1-2 years of experience ideally refereeing or coaching sports
- Your role will include a Saturday and/or Sunday shift depending on the season. For example, a work week will run Sunday-Thursday between 12:00pm – 10:00pm (most hours will be on the field and/or court with 3-4 hours of in-office support)
- Can marshal resources effectively and comfortably navigate a fast-paced, ever changing environment with minimal supervision
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Dynamic personality interested in working in, and contributing to, a fun and active sporting environment
- Immediate start date
- Health Care and 401k benefits
Interested candidates should email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “SPORTS COMMISSIONER – DC” in the subject line.
Volo City is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Volo City does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Volo City also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
|Job Category||Sports Commissioner|