Volo City is the largest sport and social company in America with over 200,000 players in eight cities nationwide. We offer a variety of leagues for all skill levels including kickball, soccer, flag football, volleyball, softball, bocce ball, skeeball and more! We also provide corporate and private events.
Our mission is to create sustainable free youth leagues through adult social sports. The Volo City Kids Foundation provides free organized sports for the kids of Baltimore, Boston, Denver, New York, San Francisco, and Washington, DC. Our programs remove barriers to athletic participation such as gender, skill, and financial resources while bringing different communities together. We play so kids can play for free!
Role: Operations Manager
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Baltimore, MD
The Operations Manager will report to and collaborate with the Mid-Atlantic Regional Director to manage and grow both the adult and youth programs in Baltimore.
The Operations Manager is held to the highest standards in terms of professionalism and decorum and is always expected to act accordingly.
The ideal candidate works well in a team environment, isn’t afraid to ask for help and is willing to tackle any job that comes their way. Volo City is looking for someone who is:
- Entrepreneurial: ability to recognize and seize opportunities, and requires low supervision/direction
- Driven: self-directed leader who takes initiative and a solutions-oriented approach to problem-solving; demonstrates a willingness to learn and improve
- Strategic + Goal Oriented: proven ability to manage and successfully execute multiple projects with concurrent deadlines
- Relationship Focused: Comfortable with all types of clients and decision makers; able to put the customer first in order to best solve their problems
This role is for you if you are passionate about organized sports and events. Your responsibilities will include but will not be limited to:
- Oversee & Grow Seasonal League Activities & Programs
- Design and manage leagues and events to meet local demand; creating teams and schedules; managing and updating league standings
- Assure quality control and strength of programs through site visits and serve as a site lead for programs whenever necessary
- Coordinate execution of all key programmatic operations including but not limited to (Website & database maintenance, flyer distribution, marketing and outreach, partner coordination, equipment storage, food delivery, and sponsorship, etc.)
- Responsible for player, parent, partner, and volunteer survey process
- The first point of contact for all player, parent, partner, and volunteer program queries
- Design developmentally appropriate curriculum and program training materials for coaches at the start of each season
- Interact with parents of programs and enhance retention rates
- Collect program metrics and analysis throughout the season and develop tools for evaluation
- Customer Service
- Resolve any emerging problems that our customers might face with accuracy and efficiency
- Anticipate and provide proactive solutions to prevent problems from arising in the future
- Facility Relationship Management
- Develop relationships with current and future league venues
- Track the needs of each site including improvements
- Obtain permits for current and new locations
- Staffing & Hiring
- Lead recruitment effort for part-time hosts & refs
- Recruit, hire, schedule, and train excellent part-time talent to run our leagues and events
- Assist in the development and presentation of staff and volunteer training
- Fundraising & Development
- Collect data & provide analysis to support future funding opportunities
- Lead Baltimore Junior Board & ensure quarterly fundraising goals are met
- Lead local fundraising events & campaigns to ensure Baltimore Foundation fundraising goals are met
- Execute fundraising activities with support of local hosts
- Expand Impact through Marketing, Community Outreach, Partnerships & Events
- Contribute to the development of local marketing content; execute marketing strategy with the support from the marketing team
- Increase brand awareness for Volo City through community events such as but not limited to (tabling at community events, schools, festivals, etc.)
- Strategically Track the effectiveness of these events by measuring growth in recruitment numbers for players, volunteers, and kids at our leagues.
- Outreach event lead & attendance as needed
- Facilitate partnerships with community organizations and neighborhoods
- Volunteer Recruitment, Engagement, Training & Management
- Lead initiatives for volunteer engagement and support, including pre-season training, mid-season check-ins, and end of season celebrations
- Strengthen relationships by maintaining consistent contact and remaining accessible all volunteers
- Direct Volunteer Professional Development and Training
- Staff volunteers at Volo City Kids Foundation events. Send recruitment email, answer questions and confirm attendance prior to the event
- Assign Lead Volunteer to each league as a point person for weekly feedback
- Volunteer Engagement: Plan a mid-season check-in with volunteers in each league. Seek input on the progress of the season and share ideas about program developments.
- Volunteer feedback review & analysis
- Develop and maintain volunteer metrics reporting and analysis
- Grow the volunteer community through special perks and events
DESIRED SKILLS + EXPERIENCE
- BA or BS degree; minimum of 4-5 years of professional experience, ideally in a sport or event management and/or business development capacity
- Ability to work nights and weekends (most hours will be in the office and fall into the general M-F work week 9:00 am – 6:00 pm, but additional hours are required)
- Can marshal resources effectively and comfortably navigate a fast-paced, ever-changing environment with minimal supervision
- Detail-oriented project manager – you have experience managing multiple projects across function areas and feel comfortable wearing many hats
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Dynamic personality interested in working in, and contributing to, a fun and active office environment
- Immediate start date
- Health Care and 401k benefits
Interested candidates should email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Operations Managers – Baltimore” in the subject line.
Volo City is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Volo City does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Volo City also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.