Ready, SET, SPIKE! Get your game on and join Volo City for indoor, beach or grass Baltimore volleyball leagues. Join one of our Baltimore volleyball leagues for a fun and social time on the court in Federal Hill, Canton or various other locations throughout the city. After your game, celebrate with your teammates with a few drinks at one of our sponsor bars!
Baltimore volleyball leagues include 6v6 (coed indoor, grass, and beach), 4v4 and 2v2 (men’s, women’s and coed beach). Please make sure your captain selects the skill level at which your team would like to play.
We pride ourselves in making sure that we provide everything you need to relax and have a blast. All you need to do is show up and find your team – we’ve got everything else covered!
The Official Team of Volo City
Upcoming Volleyball Leagues in Baltimore
How to Sign Up
9+ PLAYERS (6’s)
6+ PLAYERS (4’s)
- Minimum players for a full 6’s volleyball team is 9 . If you do not meet this minimum your team will be merged with free agents.
- Minimum players for a full 4’s volleyball team is 6. If you do not meet this minimum your team will be merged with free agents.
- A Captain must create a team and all the team members must “join” the team. The Captain can pay for everyone or you can split up the fee among team members.
- Yes! You can sign up together even if you do not have a full team!
- Have Captain “create team” & Note Estimated Players
- Teammates Join “team” (Before signup deadline)
- Once Registration is closed we will merge you with other small groups and free-agents
- Signing up as a solo player is the best way to meet people in Baltimore!
- We will place you with a small group and/or other free agents to form a full team after the registration closes.
- If you have a friend that decides to sign up just have them note to be put on the same team as you!
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with sport & location preference, team size & the company you work for/are signing up
- Save Money! Pay for entire team with a corporate rate.
- Click here to learn more about Corporate and Alumni Teams
What can I expect at a Volo Volleyball League?
A premiere, FUN experience! Plan to arrive at the court 10-15 minutes before game time to meet up with your teammates and get ready to play in your Volo volleyball league. Make sure you pencil us in for at least 45-minutes or best of three games, whichever come first. The first two games are to 25 (win by 2, capped at 25), while the third game is played to 15 (win by 2, capped at 18). Once your game ends, the night is just beginning. Head to your sponsor bar for drink specials and a chance to meet everyone in your league.
How competitive are the Volleyball Leagues?
We’re all about being social here! While we offer some competitive volleyball leagues, those are specifically labeled as such and everything else is all about being social. We offer a variety of levels of play within our volleyball leagues, and we offer multiple divisions when we can. Our A Division is slightly more competitive, B Division for our more casual competitors, and C Division is for those looking to get back into the swing of things. Please check each league for specific information or shoot us an email if you have questions!
How many people do I need for a full volleyball team?
6v6 volleyball teams are required to have a minimum of 9 players, and 4v4 volleyball teams are required to have a minimum of 6 players. If you and your crew don’t have a full roster, we’ll merge you with another small group. FYI – merged teams generally have extra players to protect against forfeits. If you’d like to make sure you have a larger or smaller team, you can register as a prepaid team which allows you determine the amount of players on your team.
How much does it cost to join Volo Volleyball?
You can expect your Volo volleyball league to be anywhere from $49-$79 per player for the entire season. Registration fees are dependent on location and day of the week, so be sure to check the league details carefully. After you sign up, everything else is taken care of for you. Your registration includes league shirt, venue costs, insurance, equipment, prizes, league management and so much more!
Don’t forget, when you sign up with Volo, your league registration helps provide free youth sports programs in Baltimore through the Volo City Kids Foundation. #playwithpurpose
What are the Volo Volleyball Gender Requirements?
For 6v6 volleyball, each team can have a maximum of 6 players on the court at a time, and 2 of those players must be female. You must have a minimum of 3 players to play, and 1 of those players must be female. Maximum of 4 males on the court at one time.
For 4v4 volleyball, each team can have a maximum of 4 players on the court at a time, and 1 of those players must be female.
*Please show up 10 minutes early for your games to stretch*
6 v 6
- 4 males max. on court
- Minimum 3 people, 1 female
- No gender rule for hits per side
4 v 4
- 2 males max. on court
- Minimum 2 people, female
- No gender rule for hits per side
2 v 2
- 2 people max on court
- No alcohol
- If the ball hits the ceiling or sides and does NOT cross the net, the ball IS LIVE
- If the ball hits the ceiling and goes over the net, the ball is DEAD (everywhere except Merritt)
- Out of bounds is the area outside the designated court line. The line is IN bounds.
- Self ref games (there will be a staff member present for tough calls)
- If a team does not have the minimum number of players 15 minutes after the designated start time, the entire match will be forfeited
Scoring: Rally Scoring
- 1st 2 games go to 25 (straight up)
- If it’s 1-1 in games, the third game is to 15 (straight up)
- The server MUST call out scores LOUDLY before each serve
- Any position can spike and block
- No 10 foot line
- You can block and then make a legal hit in a row
- No Liberos
- Any contact with the net is the loss of a point
B & C League
- Minimal net contact or carries is allowed. However blatant net contact or carries should be called (please explain to your teammate or opponent what they are doing wrong – they may be new to the sport)
**All teams make the playoffs at the end of the season (unless you forfeit 2x)**
Rules In Detail
Code of Sportsmanship
- Volleyball is a self-regulated game that relies on the Honor System. If a fault occurs, you are expected to call it as such.
- Staff members are there to rule on unclear plays, settle disputes, keep the game moving and ensure player safety. While they will at times call a fault, a lack of call by a Staff does not remove your obligation to abide by the Honor System.
- Team captains must be the only players that address concerns to referees and league officials. They are expected to do so in a courteous and respectful manner, and to confine their discussions to interpretations of the rules and not challenge referees’ decisions regarding judgment.
- Players are expected to comply with the intent and spirit of the rules. Deliberately attempting to violate the rules is unacceptable.
General Game Rules
A best-of-3 format will be used for all matches. Generally, USVBA rules will be used with the following additions, exceptions and clarifications:
Teams and Players
- All players must be at least 21 years of age prior to participating in any Match and must be registered and in good standing with
Volo Baltimore Volleyball (herein: the “League”).
- Rosters must include no fewer than 9 players (minimum of 2 women) but may have as many players on the roster as a team chooses with no other restrictions.
- Each team may have 6 players on the court at one time (2 females, 4 males)
- During playoffs, you may ONLY use team members on your roster
- League officials have the authority to eject anyone before, during and immediately after any match if they feel it is warranted.
- All decisions made by referees are final.
Game Start, Ending and Timing
- The team Captains will use rock-paper-scissors to determine the choice of serving first or choosing a side for the first game.
- Teams will switch sides for the second game and the team who did not serve to start the first game shall serve to start the second game.
- A time limit will be placed on all games. If time expires in the middle of a game, the team with the most points will be declared the winner of that game. If less than a two point difference exists between scores the referee or league host will set a cap and the teams will play to that point.
- Teams will forfeit 1 game for every 10 minutes past the designated start time that they do not have the legal amount of players.
- If a team does not have the minimum number of players present 15 minutes after the designated start time, the entire match will be forfeited and the team that is present will be declared the winner.
- If you know in advance that your team is going to need to forfeit a game, we encourage you to contact us as soon as possible. We will do everything that we can to reschedule your game, but this does not mean that your team will not receive the loss as a forfeit if we cannot accommodate your needs.
- A game ball will be provided by Volo Baltimore. Only balls provided by the league will be allowed in play.
- Players must wear athletic, closed-toed shoes (for indoor courts).
- Matches will be played as a best-of-3 format.
- Rec Scoring: Games will be played to 25 points (No win by 2). Rally Scoring will be used.
- The third game will be played to 15 points straight up. Rally scoring will be used.
- Scores should be called out loudly before each serve.
Substitutions / Rotation
- Teams are allowed an unlimited number of substitutions per match.
- Team members must rotate on the court and remain in that position until the serve has been contacted.
- The player in the back right hand corner of the rotation will be designated to serve and continue to rotate clockwise.
- Any player may block or spike at the net, regardless of rotation.
- Overhand and underhand serves are allowed. Jump serves are not allowed.
- When serving the ball, the player has 5 seconds to make contact with the ball before a side-out is called.
- If the ball is served into the net, and it goes over, it is considered a legal serve.
- The serve can be returned with a pass or a set. The serve cannot be blocked or attacked at any time.
- The serve can be made from anywhere behind the end line and within the sideline.
Playing Rules and Faults
- A maximum of three consecutive contacts per side after a serve or block attempt are allowed to return the ball.
- A block attempt is not considered a contact.
- No player may hit the ball twice in succession, except after a block.
- No part of the body may touch the net at anytime, unless a ball or person driven into the net causes the contact.
- Player contact with the net in a manner not directly relating to or affecting the course of play is not a violation.
- When executing a block or spike, a player may follow through over the net, as long as the individual doe not interfere with players on the other side of the net.
- Alcohol is not permitted inside the volleyball facility, on the grounds, or any place where prohibited by area rules. Players caught with alcohol will be REMOVED FROM THE LEAGUE WITHOUT REFUND. Our permits are too valuable to risk!
- If League officials have reason to believe a player is too intoxicated to play, that player will be ejected.
- League Management reserves the right to suspend or expel any player from the league for any reason without refund.
- 9 to 15 players will make up the final team (For 4’s 6 to 9 players will make up the final team)
- Roster Minimum 6’s: 9 players
- Roster Minimum 4’s: 6 players
- Games will be played with rally scoring, best of 3 (25-25-15)
- All teams make the playoffs at the end of the season (unless you forfeit 2x)
- All small groups (2-8 players) & free agents will be merged after registration closes
(Be sure to have your captain select a level)
- A League: Any contact with the net is the loss of a point
- B League: Minimal net contact or carries is allowed. However, obvious net contact or carries should be called
- Click here to view full rules
Players registered with Volo City Baltimore volleyball leagues enjoy player perks such as:
- Team T-Shirts
- End of Season Free Beer Party
- Special Sponsor Opportunities (see what can happen in our leagues!)
- Invitation to all Volo City Events
Post Game Social
We are known as the most social league in Baltimore and that’s because we care about the bar experience!
What to expect at the bar
- Food & Drink Specials
- Dedicated space & reserved tables for your Baltimore volleyball league
- League staff at the bar
- When possible, multiple sports will go to the same bar so you can meet lots of new people!