Baltimore bocce leagues are a friendly atmosphere where you can meet new people and have fun at the same time! We’re hosting Baltimore bocce leagues near you throughout the year and the good news – we’ll take care of everything! You just need to sign up, show up and play.
Pick your favorite Baltimore bocce league in Federal Hill, Fell’s Point, Canton or various other spots around the city, and we’ll see you at the courts!
The Official Team of Volo City
Upcoming Bocce Leagues in Baltimore
How to Sign Up
- Minimum players for a full bocce team is 5. If you do not meet this minimum your team will be merged with free agents.
- A Captain must create a team and all the team members must “join” the team. The Captain can pay for everyone or you can split up the fee’s among team members.
- Yes! You can sign up together even if you do not have a full team!
- Have Captain “create team” & Note Estimated Players
- Teammates Join “team” (Before signup deadline)
- Once Registration is closed we will merge you with other small groups and free-agents
- Signing up as a solo player is the best way to meet people in Baltimore!
- We will place you with a small group and/or other free agents to form a full team after the registration closes.
- If you have a friend that decides to sign up just have them note to be put on the same team as you!
- Email email@example.com with sport & location preference, team size & the company you work for/are signing up
- Save Money! Pay for entire team with a corporate rate.
- Click here to learn more about Corporate and Alumni Teams
What can I expect at the Baltimore Bocce League?
A premier, FUN experience! Plan to arrive at the field 10-15 minutes before game time to meet up with your teammates and get ready to roll. We play games to 15, with unlimited rounds, so make sure you pencil us in for at least 40-minutes on league nights. Once your game ends, the night is just beginning – head to your sponsor bar for drink specials and a chance to meet everyone in your league.
How competitive are Baltimore Bocce Leagues?
We’re all about being social here – and bocce is the original social sport! While there are chances to qualify for the Baltimore Bocce City Championships and even the National Bocce Tournament, we keep things nice and chill on the courts during our leagues.
How many people do I need for a full bocce team?
All bocce teams are required to have a minimum of 5 players. If you and your crew don’t have a full roster, we’ll merge you with another small group. FYI – merged teams generally have extra players to protect against forfeits. If you’d like to make sure you have a larger or smaller team, you can register as a prepaid team which allows you to determine the number of players on your team.
How much does it cost to join a Baltimore Bocce league?
You can expect your volo bocce league to be anywhere from $45-$65 per player for the entire season. Registration fees are dependent on location and day of the week, so be sure to check the league details carefully. After you sign up, everything else is taken care of for you. Your registration includes league shirt, venue costs, insurance, equipment, prizes, league management and so much more!
Don’t forget, when you sign up with the Baltimore Bocce League, your league registration helps provide free youth sports programs in Baltimore through the Volo City Kids Foundation. #playwithpurpose
Is it pallino or pallina?
This is the great mystery of Bocce – and one we cannot answer. You’ll have to sign up for a league to find out for yourself!
Volo Bocce Rules
The rules of bocce are pretty simple. We keep it that way because we expect you to be drinking and having a good time, not worrying about how to play. So the less complicated the better, right?
- 2 players minimum to play
- Rock, paper scissors to start
- 1st: throw the pallino (little white ball)
- The pallino MUST pass the centerline of the court and CANNOT leave the court on the sides or end
- If the player fails 2 times, the opposing team throws the pallino
- 2nd: when the pallino is properly in play, the 1st bocce ball will be thrown by the team that tossed the pallino
- **If the pallino ever gets hit out of bounds, the ROUND starts over**
- Each game is to 15 (rounds are unlimited)
- You do NOT have to win by 2
- Non-glow games may be called early due to darkness
- If the ball touches the pallino, you do NOT get an extra point
- You can get 1, 2, 3, or 4 point(s) in a round
- ONLY 1 team can score points each round
- Points are based on who is CLOSEST to the pallino
- If you are closest, you get 1 point
- If you have the next 1, 2 or 3 balls that are closer than the opponent’s 1st closest ball, you receive the points
- The team that won the last round will throw the pallino and ball 1st in the next round
- Ex. The score is 10-1, then the team scores 2 points to make the score 10-3. The team with 3 points will throw the ball 1st (they won that round).
- *If the pallino gets hit out of bounce at any time during the round, that ROUND starts over
- Ex. The score is 6-4 and all balls have been thrown but 1. The team is about to score 3 points BUT their last ball hits the pallino out of bounds – the round starts over at 6-4 and NO ONE gets points for that round
- Boundaries ONLY apply to the pallino. Any balls hit or thrown outside of the court are still in play and those balls CAN score points if the balls are closest to the pallino.
- MUST start on time
- If you are LATE – it might result in losing points or having to forfeit
- Depending on the league, round 1 or 2 of playoffs may only go to 10-12 points as designated by the bocce host
**All teams make the playoffs at the end of the season (unless you forfeit 2x)*
Rules in Detail:
Start of Game
- The game shall begin with rock-paper-scissors between the captains or designated agent from each team. The winner of rock-paper-scissors may have the first toss of the pallino OR choose the color of the balls.
- A player may toss the pallino any distance so long as the pallino passes the center line of the court and does not leave the court on the sides or on the end.
- If a player fails to validly toss the pallino after two attempts, the opposing team will have a chance to toss the pallino and put it in play. If the opposing team fails to toss the pallino past the center line the pallino reverts to the original team.
- When the pallino has been properly put in play, the first bocce ball will be thrown by the team who tossed the pallino.
Play of the Game
- The team who tosses the pallino throws the first bocce ball, then steps aside and does not roll again until the opposing team has either gotten one of its bocce balls closer to the pallino or has thrown all of its balls. The team whose bocce balls are closest to the pallino is called “inside” and the opposing team “outside.”
- Whenever a team gets inside, it steps aside and lets the outside team roll. The team outside throws until it beats (not ties) the opposing ball. This continues until both teams have used all their bocce balls (a total of 8, 4 from each team).
- The team who scored last, throws the pallino to begin the next frame.
- If a player rolls the wrong colored ball, simply replace it with the correct color when the ball comes to rest.
- If a player rolls out of turn, the opposing team may leave everything, including the thrown ball, exactly where it is or may return any moved balls to their approximate original positions and remove the thrown ball from play.
- If a ball is moved before all 8 balls are played, the ball is replaced to the approximate original position and the frame continues.
- At the end of each frame, players switch to the opposite end of the court to begin the next frame.
- Only the “inside” team scores. One point is given for each ball of the inside team that is closer to the pallino than any ball of the opposing team.
- If at the end of any frame the closest ball of each team is equidistant from the pallino, the frame ends in a tie and no points are awarded to either team.
- The game will resume from the opposite end of the court with the same team tossing the pallino.
- Captains of each team are responsible for keeping the score sheet and for reporting the results of the game.
- The first team who scores at least 15 points wins the game.
If the pallino is knocked out of the court or it is knocked in the front of the center line, the frame will end, no points are awarded, and the game will resume from the opposite end of the court with the same team tossing the pallino.
Player’s movements are limited to one step over the end line onto the court while throwing.
The teams playing will referee their own game. Any dispute which cannot be resolved by the team captains shall be decided by the Volo Baltimore Official Host in attendance.
Tape measures will be provided to each game, and players are responsible for measuring in case of any disputes. All measurements should be made from the inside dimensions of the bocce ball to the inside dimension of the pallino. If both teams agree on which team has the point(s) and it is later determined that a mistake has been made, all balls played are valid. If both teams have balls remaining, the team that does not have the closest ball to the pallino rolls again. If all balls have been played, points are awarded based on the balls that are actually closest to the pallino in accord with the “Scoring” guidelines.
Teams are required to field a roster of 6+ members, but are not required to have more than 2 team members at each game. There are also no requirements that the team consist of more than one gender. However, if a team fails to provide fewer than 2 members to a game, the game will be considered a forfeit with a score of 15-0 in favor of the opposing team.
Games may be rescheduled due to weather or other events that present a reasonable challenge to player participation. Games will be rescheduled by the Volo Baltimore Office.
- A person can only play on one team per league.
- If a team fields less than 2 players, the game is a forfeit. A 2 or 3 member team may play throwing only 2 balls per player. A 3rd or 4th player arriving late may enter the game at any time.
Conduct and Courtesy
- Team captains are responsible for the actions of their players.
- If a player is standing in the playing half of the court while the opposing team requests that the player step aside, that request should be honored.
- Spectators are allowed to interact with the team, but are expected to be respectful of the players and other games in progress. Spectators associated with a specific team are the responsibility of the team captain, and if he or she violates the rules of the park, the team may be held accountable in the form of a warning, and then a forfeit as determined by the Volo Baltimore staff.
- Courtesy and respect for the other players and other park visitors should be displayed at all times. Excessive profanity and unsportsmanlike conduct is not permitted, and violations may result in a warning by the Volo Baltimore staff to the player and team captain. Severe violations or a violation after a warning may result in the player’s expulsion by Volo Baltimore from the frame or match.
- All trash, including cigarette butts, plastic bottles, and other debris, is to be discarded in appropriate containers. Players should strive to ensure the field is in better condition when they leave, than it was when they arrive! We are stewards of our fields!
- Team size (5-12) – no gender requirements
- Games Scheduled between 7-9:30
- Minimum 2 people to play each week
- Equipment provided
- Shirts provided
- 6 Weeks + playoffs (all teams make playoffs)
- Click here to view full rules
Players registered with Volo City Baltimore enjoy player perks such as:
- Team T-Shirts
- End of Season Free Beer Party
- Special Sponsor Opportunities (see what can happen in our leagues!)
- Invitation to all Volo City Events
Post Game Social
We are known as the most social league in Baltimore and that’s because we care about the bar experience!
What to expect at the bar
- Food & Drink Specials
- Dedicated space & reserved tables for your league
- League staff at the bar
- When possible, multiple sports will go to the same bar so you can meet lots of new people!