Grab your Stick and Get in the Game!
Lace up your cleats and get ready to pass, hit, and shoot your way to victory in the Volo Baltimore field hockey league! We are super excited to announce that field hockey is our newest addition to our sport line-up. Perfect for alumni teams, reuniting old teammates, or meeting new people who also love to play field hockey! We have the most social leagues in Baltimore, and we are excited to take the game we love and make it SOCIAL!
After your game, keep the fun going and head over to your sponsor bar for a post-game beer! Volo offers the most social and fun adult Baltimore field hockey league around.
COVID Safety Standards
- Health Declaration via the Volo App before each activity.
- Temperature checks to ensure body temperature does not exceed 100.4
- Hand Sanitizing Stations will be provided at each league.
- Equipment Sanitization during and in between league play to mitigate the spread of germs.
- Face Masks are required to be worn by staff and players at all times.
- Notifications of illness within 14 days of play will be reported to Volo customer service and Volo will notify potentially exposed persons.
- Social Distancing via clear markers to keep players 6 feet apart.
- Limited Activity Capacity in adherence to local guidelines.
- Modified Rules when necessary to limit contact and maintain social distancing.
- As with all games, penalties are called at the referee’s discretion.
- Penalties are incurred upon contact.
- If both players are not wearing a mask, both players / teams incur the penalty.
- If the mask must be removed, do so at least 6 ft away from all other players / refs
Upcoming Field Hockey Leagues in Baltimore
We pride ourselves in making sure that we provide everything you need to play safely, relax, and have a blast. Click here for more details on our COVID Safety Standards.
How to Sign Up
- If you do not meet this minimum your team will be merged with free agents.
- A Captain must create a team and all the team members must “join” the team. The Captain can pay for everyone or you can split up the fee among team members.
- Yes! You can sign up together even if you do not have a full team!
- Have Captain “create team” & Note Estimated Players
- Teammates Join “team” (Before signup deadline)
- Once Registration is closed we will merge you with other small groups and free-agents
- Signing up as a solo player is the best way to meet people in Baltimore!
- We will place you with a small group and/or other free agents to form a full team after the registration closes.
- If you have a friend that decides to sign up just have them note to be put on the same team as you!
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with sport & location preference, team size & the company you work for/are signing up
- Save Money! Pay for entire team with a corporate rate.
- Click here to learn more about Corporate and Alumni Teams
Field Hockey FAQs
What can I expect at a Volo Field Hockey League?
A premiere, FUN experience! Plan to arrive at the field 10-15 minutes before game time to meet up with your teammates and get ready to play in your Volo field hockey league. Once your game ends, the night is just beginning. Head to your sponsor bar to take advantage of the player specials and socialize with your fellow field hockey players.
How competitive are the Field Hockey Leagues?
We’re all about being social while burning up a sweat! Volo Field Hockey Leagues are all about having a good time and meeting new people. We welcome all skill levels! Shoot us an email if you have questions!
How many people do I need for a full field hockey team?
10 players will consist of a full team for field hockey. If you and your crew don’t have a full roster, we’ll merge you with another small group. FYI – merged teams generally have extra players to protect against forfeits. If you’d like to make sure you have a larger or smaller team, you can register as a prepaid team which allows you determine the amount of players on your team.
How much does it cost to join Volo Field Hockey?
You can expect your Volo field hockey league to be anywhere from $59-$89 per player for the entire season. Registration fees are dependent on location and day of the week, so be sure to check the league details carefully. After you sign up, everything else is taken care of for you. Your registration includes league shirt, referees, venue costs, insurance, prizes, league management and so much more!
Don’t forget, when you sign up with Volo, your league registration helps provide free youth sports programs in Baltimore through the Volo Kids Foundation. #playitforward
What are the Volo Field Hockey Gender Requirements?
There are no gender rules in Volo Field Hockey!
Field Hockey Rules
7 v 7 including goalies
Minimum 4 to play
10 completes the roster
20 minutes per half, no overtime in regular season
Shin guards AND mouth guards are mandatory
Any rules not explicitly stated below will follow the official USA field hockey 7v7 rules that can be accessed here.
Allowed on dead balls only.
The referee should be made aware of the substitution, but the game does not need to be stopped.
Goalkeepers must have all proper equipment to play – including a neck guard, pelvic protector, and mouth guard.
Teams without a goalkeeper may have an extra player on the field – no players with goalkeeper privileges
If a goalkeeper mishandles the ball in the scoring circle, a corner is awarded to the other team. No strokes.
A free hit is awarded to the non-offending side following an infraction and are usually taken at the spot the foul occurs.
Opposing team must give 5 yard distance from the place of the free hit
Self- pass is allowed
If game ends in a tie in playoffs:
Game goes straight into shootouts. Best of 5.
5 players from each team will be selected to shoot
If tied at the end of 5 shots, teams go one for one alternating until one team makes a shot and the other misses.
All players must shoot once until everyone (including the goalie) on the team with the lower number of players has shot. After this point, both teams can restart their roster.
Weather Related Game Cancellation: Suspended Games – If, due to weather conditions, safety conditions, or referee discretion, a game is halted prior to halftime, it will be replayed if possible. A game halted at half time or later will stand as indicated by the score when the game was halted
- Shin guards required to play each week.
- Volo Referee for all games.
- A typical season lasts 5 weeks plus playoffs.
- All teams make the playoffs (unless team forfeits 2x)
- All outdoor leagues are played on turf
- Field Hockey sticks and keeper equipment not provided
Baltimore Field Hockey Leagues Skill Level
All levels welcome – whether you played high school or college, or a couple of times! We ask that you know the basics and are ready to jump into a field hockey game, but this is a social league! We plan introduce divisions in the coming seasons as the league grows.
Players registered with Volo Baltimore field hockey leagues enjoy player perks such as:
- Team T-Shirts
- Special Sponsor Opportunities (see what can happen in our leagues!)
- Invitation to all Volo Events